It is no secret I have been sneakily adding yoga pics and videos into the Swish brand for a couple years now after becoming an instructor myself in 2011. I found that yoga not only helped me control my breathing underwater, especially adding to my apnea experience but also just my general lifestyle and vibe in a way nothing else has ever before for me. Yoga changed my life, not in the same way as diving did but I feel that yoga was the finesse, the cherry on my sundae of life experience. It drove home and made sense of all the special things I felt underwater.
So for the month of July, we wanted to share a very special yogi and athlete with you all, Miss Pat Bailey. We at Swish have been watching her on IG for a year now, but she has grown so #instafamous with a following over 62K that she is now a recommended account to follow by the makers of instagram itself as @patbailey! She was kind enough to send us here at Swish killer photos of her rocking out her Swish ONE Line Jacket in Sporty Yellow.
Pat started Yoga with PB and is a Bhakti Vinyasa Flow RYT September 2014 with a Moksa Flow Studio Coming in 2014 #moksaflow. She is also one badass biker!
More on PB just general being amazing.
We cannot promise that buying our Swish ONE Line Items in Yellow with make you as cool as Pat, but we can promise you might get that little edge you need. So get them 30% Off while you can for July only here.
Swish On for now and much love!
Interested in Swish Yoga? You can check out some of our Swish Yoga vids in YouTube
I am sure for most of you in more Southern areas, the summer kicked off awhile ago, but for us here in Swish Chicago Headquarters it is finally here! I walked around our fulfillment center today and man was it hot!
(Our Swish Eco Bags made from Recycled Fibers are Free with Purchase)
So I have furniture now, courtesy of my father. Typical of Swish (and my hippie beach bum type bent to life) everything is hand me down and thus eco. It suits me just fine, this eco-ness. I love that everything in my place is reused. I have always loved buying things second hand. I started to shop almost exclusively at Goodwill and thrift shops about the time I was allowed to drive the family truck around backwoods Chicago, much to my father's distain, but I loved it. I loved feeling like I was being resourceful, being unique, and I always hated the mall on some unexplainably deep level. The rows and rows of Abercrombie polos in bags with models on them that I once looked at thinking they were so old and cool, but now look to me like I might actually have been their baby sitter or worse, possible mother. On a lot of levels I love my furniture even though I actually had no choice as I somehow just seem to never have money. I am starting to feel like this may be a choice though. Are there people out there that might not be super motivated by money and am I one of them? And if so, how strange are we?
I am starting to think quite strange. My strangeness here in Miami is palpable in a way it never was in the land of the beach bums and misfit beach toys of Playa. I went to a spin class at the Four Seasons gym where I teach yoga these days and as I was working on putting my feet over my head after class, a Chelsita usual, a yoga student of mine and her friend came over. It took the friend about 5 seconds to say to me "So you are not from here." I honestly cannot pinpoint what it is that makes it so obvious that I am not from Miami, or likely from anywhere in particular that one can easily pinpoint. This statement has been following me everywhere, it is the very first thing people ask me. And, oddly, I have an accent, from where no one including myself seems to know. My only hope is that it is charming.
I am sort of stuck somewhere between feeling proud of myself for making such unique and different life choices and feeling like a child very behind on their homework. I flow from proud to embarrassed every 5 min of so abstinently taking the path less travelled or more aptly in my life choices, the path less machete'd. When I have a look around here, pretty much everyone I meet that is in my age category is miles and miles ahead of me in so many ways. The new tinder friend I mentioned from my last blog recently invited me over to his place, the gorgeous new place he just bought courtesy of his big bank job complete with his specially frozen spherical ice cubes. Well, actually his guests apparently get a choice of spheres or large scale cubes......I guess the difference I feel between an individual like him and myself is actually measurable. I think that I am starting to be at an age where we can physically see the manifestation of one's life choices. You can see the physical evidence of what makes them tick and what they used their 20's to do/build. I have my handstands and Swish leggings and others have fancy ice and savings accounts. I suppose the mature way of looking at this is to see that perhaps just because my choices are a little less backed up and valued by society, does not mean that my difference is a bad one. But feeling so different has started to challenge an inner belief of mine and a tattoo I have long had on my wrist "It is not or, it is and." Meaning cannot my path less paved coincide with a savings account? I remember these feelings before when living in Chicago for a year in 2010, and hence my tattoo. Within society I have always felt the pressure to be and act certain ways, we all do. I think this is why I lived like a beach bum expat for so long. But like the tattoo on my wrist, the answer is always inside. While I am flailing around feeling so different and out of it here in Miami with every second person stopping to ask me where I am from, why cannot it not be both? Why cannot I not feel different and a part of it all at once? I think it is possible to love what makes us separate but still a part of the togetherness. And that feeling different does not mean that I have to run this time around. I have moments, quite a few these days during this transition, most especially when faced with new successful friends in the process of buying supped up jeeps from Heat Team Members, where I sooo wish I had not run away for so long. That I had stayed and choosen an easier path, planned, and would now be in a position to pay for whatever I need. But I am going to bank on my uniqueness, on my adventure, and on my very own vernacular. I choose to see my hippie adventures in this way because I have no choice. The years I spent mediating on my paddle board in the middle of the sea or hours spent at the bottom of the ocean in my Swish Suit (about 3,000 when I did the math) must be for something.
So, I have decided to break the pattern of self doubt. I have been TED watching and a particular one has stuck my fancy here on my used but fancy couch. Or maybe it was a talk about his TED talk, I am not sure and lost in all the links I have followed, but a Kamal Ravikant has been talking about mental looping that our brains do. We think that we think, but actually our thoughts are just loops of past experiences our brains just play over and over again. What this means for me then is that in my experience perhaps my mental loop just tells me over and over that difference is bad. But it is just a loop, and I am going to stop it. Maybe you can to and we can all embrace that which makes us unique and a part of it all :).
It is no secret that we Swish mermaids love anything and everything water, so when I was offered an intro Janzu Water Massage as a birthday gift from the beautiful and earthy America Vega Pascual, owner and operator of Relaha, a Holistic Center here in Playa del Carmen, MX, I said “H*%!& Yes!” RelaHa specializes in Water Therapy Janzu Massage, Holistic Massage, Reflexology, and Reiki: Relaha
(America Wearing her Swish Janzu Jacket in the Ocean of the Riviera Maya)
America had approached me weeks ago, asking if we at Swish could create special jackets for Janzu massage. I didn't know anything about Janzu massage expect that it was in the water. After researching for the making of America's Janzu jacket, I found that water is an amazing place for body therapy. The water not only slows down movement and makes one feel weightless, but the water acts as an isolation therapy, blocking all sound and allowing the patient to fully let go. Many go into a sort of meditative state. Janzu is often seen as a rebirthing therapy, with the water representing the amniotic fluid of the womb, America told me that the Janzu massage will penetrate and release layers of your being and to expect vivid dreams and more sensitivity the following days.
(Janzu can be done in a pool or the ocean, the most important aspect is warm water as you will be immobile.)
I am personally OBSESSED with massages, I trade teaching a massage therapist's yoga classes in exchange for massage every couple of weeks, but no previous massage prepared me for what I experienced in my Janzu. I felt like I was in a cocoon, and felt a more lasting sleepiness than I ever had. Normally from massage, I will recover within 20 in or so and feel normal, but my Janzu wiped me out for the rest of the day and I slept better than I ever have. I had vivid dreams, perhaps of old things in my consciousness needing to be let go.
(Beautiful America in her Swish ONE Line Jacket in Purple on the beaches of Playa del Carmen)
America describes Janzu as “the art of letting go and learning to flow, to trust, and to connect with the source and know that everything is going to be ok and life has your back.” I certainly felt like America had my back during my massage with her amazing energy :)! I would recommend Janzu to anyone, and especially to you water lovers out there!
For more info on Janzu and/or holistic centers and therapies in Playa del Carmen please contact America here: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For info on ordering your own Janzu Massage Swish Jacket made exclusively for Janzu, please contact: email@example.com.
Black is the ubiquitous color of dress for every city. London, Paris, New York, Sydney- the color black is synonymous with a cosmopolitan lifestyle. This week Swish Suits is bringing the cosmopolitan life to the beach with our new chic black "ONE" line jackets which can help transition from those beachy days to the party! Stay tuned for our ultimate playlist and a girls guide to the best beach party locations!
Swish jackets and crop tops in cosmopolitan black will keep you sleek and sexy from the beach to the bar. A tiny sleeve pocket fits keys, money, and credit cards. Front and back ruching flatters the figure and the logo on each sleeve let’s everyone know you are a swish girl.
Black "ONE" Line Jacket:
Black "ONE" Line Crop Tops
Cosmopolitan Living with Swish Suits: From the Beach to Nightlife
There is a new hot couple that has been raising all hell on the nightlife scene as of lately. Yes, you guessed it- beach life and city life have finally gotten together to create a glorious hybrid of beachy glamour. From beautiful clubs spinning electro beats in sleepy fishing towns to rooftop beach parties in some on the swankiest cities- this is a romance we hope endures! And what better way to embrace this new scene than in your black swish jacket? Cosmopolitan looks meet beach functionality so you can spend all day in the water and then throw on some bottoms and hit the town!
Girls Guide to the Top 5 Cosmopolitan Beach Parties!
1. Blue Venado at Playa del Carmen: Blue Venado is a favorite location for the infamous Project Sound Team who host parties with big name DJ's that one would find in major techno cities such as Berlin; however, this venue consists of a DJ palapa and a palapa bar out in the middle of nowhere in Mexico. Situated off the highway between Tulum and Playa del Carmen in Quintana Roo, Blue Venado has the ocean on one side and the jungle on the other. This stunning beach club has parties that last for 18 hours, and you can hear the cheers as people watch the sunrise and the music kicks up again.
Punto Venado is a magical place, the vibe is very chilled out so there is no anger in the air. People get really into the DJ's so you can hear them shouting in excitement. It has also managed to escape the Ibizia curse and remains relatively unknown to the masses.
Conclusion: Project Sound throws the best party of your life at this mystical beach cabana with headlining DJ's.
Tips: Ladies, make sure you have a cab number to call to get you back into to town! It is a long walk to hail a cab on the highway, and I would not suggest doing it alone. Also bring adequate cash for the whole night, a jacket, bikini, and sunglasses!
2. Nest Rooftop Lounge in Bangkok: Bangkok is quickly making itself known as one of the world's premier party locations. Nest Rooftop Lounge on the ever-happening Soi 11 embodies the swanky pulsing vibe of the city. Every month Nest holds it's popular "Miami Beach Party". Sand is poured and umbrellas are open, turning the city rooftop into a virtual beach. This party was a staple of mine when I would leave the tiny Thai island I was living on to visit friends in Bangkok.
Going along with it's Miami Beach theme, Nest serves up a delightful combination of chilled out music (from live to minimal chill techno) and massive mojitos at a reasonable price.
Nest is always bopping with the coolest of the cool people. Thai nationals who love the party, affluent travelers, or the ex-pats all come to this rooftop to chill, mingle, and have a great party. Manger Johann always makes the rounds with a bottle of stoli to free pour shots down willing participants throats as the night gets going.
Conclusion: Beach party that goes all day and night in Bangkok's swanky Sukhumvit, where you are bound to run into everyone who you know.
Tips: Don't wear a bikini. Thailand is a little conservative. Ditto to heels, the floor gets sandy and it is harder to dance as the evening wears on!
3. Hotel Fontainebleau, Miami Beach
You might laugh and say it's for tourists and celebrity hoppers, but the Hotel Fontainebleau in Miami's hot Beach district has so many parties each night that it is bound to get your head spinning! The decedent interior is host to many clubs and bars all with an ocean view. The main bar downstairs features an aquatic theme will the rest of the hotel varies from steak houses to sleek clubs. Chelsea and I have been known to make a pit stop on our way in Miami. A bit cheesy, but purely Miami Beach.
Conclusion: Party with the ubur trendy, the famous, the desperate, the cool, the jaded, the beautiful, and the tourists. Hey, it is just another day in Miami Beach!
Tips: Avoid the main bar at peak hours and make a table reservation with all your friends to party and people watch.
4. North Avenue Beach, Chicago
Chicago is one of the wholesome midwestern cities where people are happy and friendly. It is lucky to not embody the pretension of New York, and the flakiness of L.A. While it lacks the ocean, it has miles and miles of lakefront property in the middle of downtown! Due to the long winter, when summer arrives it is time to hit the great outdoors and PARTY!
North Avenue beach comes alive with open volleyball tournaments and grillouts. Everybody knows it is the place to be on Saturdays and Sundays in the summer for the day party. Drinking is not allowed on the beach front, but that is ok as Castaways bar (in the form of a steam ship) is right there waiting for you!
Conclusion: Good clean daytime fun in downtown Chicago.
Tips: Join the volleyball tournaments. They are so much and the party after is a great way to meet people.
5. Rock Bar, Bali
Winding down the list is one of my favorite places to simply chill out, admire the view, and sip a great cocktail. Bali is where people go to get away from it all and Rock Bar at the Ayana Resort is just the pace to do that.
Set up in the towering cliffs, Rock Bar features a sleek minimalist design. Be inspired by one of the best views on the island as the pink light plays tricks with crashing waves while you sip on innovative cocktails such as the Spiced Rock (Belvedere Vodka, Orange Curacao, Fresh Orange, Lime, Rosemary, Fresh Ginger, Wild Honey, Ginger Ale). The music lineup is impressive from Third Eye Blind playing an acoustic set to Indonesia's most famous DJ spinning deep house.
Conclusion: Come for the sunset view, stay forever. . .
Tips: No braids, bintang shirts, board shorts, or flip flops! (Really do they look good anyways?)
If you need some inspiration to get in the party mood, check out our "Going Cosmopolitan Swish Style" playlist on grooveshark!
This week is all about elegance. Well, washable elegance. Because while we love the simplicity and grace of white, we know that your life can get a little messy. But hey, that's why all Swish "ONE" line jackets are machine washable.
Swish Jackets in elegant white keep you cool during the stickiest situations as our material wicks away moisture. Front and back ruching flatters the figure and the logo on each sleeve let's everyone know you are a swish girl.
Elegance Redefined: By Victoria
Modern Elegance is no longer about being poised and stilted. I would have to say it is all about grace under pressure. So why sweat the small stuff? Beat the heat of life in your white "ONE" line jacket.
Our gorgeous model and COO, Brenda, knows a few things about elegance, having been a classical ballerina for many years.
"The elegance in ballet is all about keeping your cool in difficult positions: the same as elegance in life."
Sometimes our budget for fashion can be difficult. I know I put extreme sports over my wardrobe so it can be difficult for me to find the energy for both. So this month we bring you:
Top Five Ways to Look Elegant on a Small Budget
1) Everyone has a few nice classic pieces. Take one of these as your outfit base and add trendy budget pieces for a contemporary classic look. Example: take your classic little black dress and add sandals, this season's ethnic print head wraps and some wrist bangles. Volia! You are prepared for lunch and shopping.
2) Forget the label: Don't worry about who has designed your cloths. Worry more about the cut and fit. Choose flattering sillouhetes for your figure that fit properly and leave the rest behind. You can always invest $2 in a pair of scissors to cut out the label if it bothers you too much!
3) It's all material: Be wary of synthetic materials that can look cheap. Keep it simple and cool with natural fibres. You will also smell better throughout the day as natural fibres breathe and trap less oder.
4) Lipstick: Well applied lipstick is an easy way to look pulled together. Adding a classic red to your $20 bikini screams Brigette Bardot classy.
5) Clothing is only one part of the equation. By taking care of yourself , you will ensure that you always look well groomed and polished.
-Drink plenty of water and eat fresh food to keep your skin clear and healthy.
-Keep your nails short and apply a clear polish for a low matenance budget manicure
-Get regular excercise to keep your figure trim and your spirits up!
Still look for other ways to keep it elegant? Listen to our "Keep it classy: Swish chill out music" playlist on grooveshark.
Pink is an undeniably girly flirty color. This week Swish is taking pink to a whole new level by introducing our electric jackets and crop tops! No tame pink prissiness here! Get active and channel the your inner flirt to flirt with the wild side in your new electric pink jacket or crop top.
Flirting has been given a bas rap in today's world. I believe that flirting is one of the better actions in my day, so I am here to bring flirting back! Now, I am not talking just about the traditional sort of flirting (i.e. with your crush), although it is a great, but also flirting with life itself! Why not behave amorously towards your morning latte? Is it not delicious and needed? Why not stop that attractive stranger in the street and say something nice? I guarantee it will perk up their day. Why has flirting gotten such a bad rap? Flirting to me is being fun, playful, and flattering towards activities or others. Plus it gives your self-esteem a boost for interacting and being involved in your own life instead of being sidelined. So just get in there!
In the spirit of the pink jackets and crop tops, and all things flirty Swish introduces:
Five Ways to Break the Ice!
Feeling a bit shy on the outside? Well I bet your inner goddess is dressed in a boa and some heels waiting to be released. Use these tips and let her reign supreme.
1. Smile: Smiling immediately puts everyone at ease. Even if your eyes are terrified behind your sunglasses at the thought of approaching a new group of friends or activity, putting a smile on your face makes you accessible to others and they will make an effort to get to know you as well; thus putting you at ease. . . Terrific cycle, no? Just make sure to avoid creepy smiling and staring. . . No one likes a stalker. . .
2. Get moving!: New activities such as a beach workout, yoga class, salsa, art class, wine tasting, etc: these are all great ways to meet people while having a fail-proof topic to talk about. i.e. "What did you think about the California chardonnay? They are normally too oaky for me, but this one I liked!" or "Wow your arm posistion in head stand is amazing! Can you show me?" Simple yet effective.
3. Get over yourself: Life is not that serious. If you are quick to laugh off your embarresment chances are you will come off charming and human! So get out there and try new things. If you fall, get up and laugh. If you stutter, stop and laugh. If you say something inappropriate. . . well apologize first then laugh!
4. Have a theme song: Yeah that's right! Don't we wish our life was a movie? Well make it one in your mind! Get yourself a theme song and play it in your head when you talk to people, on your way to the event, in the bathroom while talking to yourself in a mirror (if you are walked in on during this, refer to tip #3), and just basically anytime that you need a boost to feel as confident and sexy as you are! If you need some help choosing a song, refer to our "Get your flirt on" pink playlist.
5. Put on your Swish Suit, Jacket, or Crop Top: Swish Suits make you feel sexy and confident!
What is your favorite way to break the ice? Tell us here. While you are commenting, be sure to check out our "Get your flirt on pink playlist" hopefully it will inspire your inner goddess and she can strut her stuff in her heels. . . Now stop looking at your coffee like that. . .
ANNOUNCING THE RELEASE OF YELLOW "ONE" LINE JACKETS AND VESTS
Close your eyes and think of the color yellow. Thoughts that will probably float through your head are: sunshine, the beach, and happy times. I bet you can almost feel the warmth of the sun on your face!
Well here is something to make you really happy:
SWISH "ONE" LINE YELLOW JACKETS AND VESTS ARE ON SALE NOW!
Get yours at: www.swishsuits.com (Hurry, hurry, hurry, limited time supply!)
JACKET: Get happy in the sun without the burn! Our lightweight material wicks away sweat while keeping your protected from the sun's rays. Great for a beach run, or chilling out after your workout.
VEST: Get happy during your workout with our revolutionary vest! We hate it when our workout clothes stick to our lower back when we are burning those calories, so we are introducing our new vest with the back cutout. Calories won't be the only thing burning when you wear this sexy vest (libidos anyone?)
GETTING THAT HAPPY YELLOW LIFESTYLE: By Chelsea Berg, CEO
Yellow has always been one of my favorite colors. In fact my very existence can be described as yellow! I have blond hair, I live at the beach, and I have a puppy named Marley, after the sunshine man himself.
Staying happy by the beach is a much easier task than in other areas of the world, but I have found that the quickest way to get yellow happy fast is to move your bum chicas. Physical activity is what we our bodies were made for!
The greatest mood elevating workout regime I have ever tried has been the Beach Core Workouts I have been doing these past 2 months with my trainer and ex super model Chris Barnes here in Playa del Carmen, MX. Combining hardcore cardio in the soft sand and beach sunshine has everyone who tries it coming back for more and more of this happiness drug. In a typical workout we run a couple miles in soft sand, sprint suicides, do polymetrics, lift beach rocks, and finish off with a dip in the ocean!
While I have found that exercise is the number one way of getting happy, staying happy requires a bit of mental exercise. It helps to have a bit of help at times, here are,
5 Tips to Getting Happy FAST:
1. Move It: Of course exercise would be Swish’s first suggestion on the road to happiness. But the reality is that human beings are animals and we need to move our bodies. Bodies are designed for moment and suffer when deprived of it. We have long known that much of depression can be attributed to an unhealthy body state. The quickest way to a stronger mind and attitude is through regular exercise. You can move anywhere/anytime. Taking a conference call? Pace while you talk to burn some calories. Running errands? Walk briskly instead of taking the subway. Have an elevator? use the stairs once a day. You will be surprised at how good you feel and how much energy you have.
2. Shake It: We all have one….(at Swish Headquarter we in fact have a new one every week/month)…. you know that song that makes you feel immediately lighter? Use it! Putting on a grooving song can instantly change your mood. Shaking your groove thing along to said song is not obligatory but strongly advised for an instant buzz! If you are at a loss, check out our Swish Suit's Happy Times Playlist! (featured below)
3. Dream It: Any plans from a Friday night dinner with your buds to your own upcoming promotion or new puppy can lift you up. Making fun plans or thinking about a positive event can raise levels of endorphins and other pleasure-inducing hormones and lower production of stress hormones.
4. Get it Outside: Research suggests that sunlight stimulates brain chemicals that improve mood and increases focus. Nature has a grounding effect on human beings, there to remind us that life is essentially beautiful. Getting outside can be as simple as eating lunch outdoors during your office break, to planning a trek in Nepal.
5. Slow it down : We rush, rush, rush. Most of the time if we are not 5 racing steps ahead then we get run over! But often we can lose ourselves in thinking for the future, or regretting the mistakes of our past. This makes us feel even more out of control. Take a conscious look outside the window and know that right now is the only real moment and you can make it however you want! Now I dare you not to feel cool .
You can even create your own tips! I have one secret weapon motto:
It is not OR, it is AND.
This is something my father always says to me. I love it and it always makes me feel better when I am thinking about life decisions, like it sort of helps to know that there are so many options to life and how to see oneself. This motto has been a reigning principal for the creation of Swish as well as a constant personal reminder to not put myself into a box by limiting my life choices and perceptions.
I manifest this principal in many areas of my life. For example, I am a beach bum and a CEO, I put on professional DJ parties and I am a yoga instructor, I wear sandals during the day and heels at night…. We are all many things.
We are not one thing or the other, so why should your own physical regime be single-dimensional? We created the Swish ONE Line to compliment not limit your various activities. We wanted to provide products that would be as multi-dimensional as the Swish Girl is. Take your ONE Line product from paddle boarding, to the yoga mat, and then out for a cocktail!
Swish Suits' Happy Times Playlist:
Listen to the playlist on our blog or on groove shark:
Or, go buy the songs for yourself:
1. Feel so Close- Calvin Harris
2. Come Let Go- Xavier Rudd
3. Sweet Honey- Slightly Stoopid
4. Sexual Healing (reggaeton) remix Barry White- Shaggy
Swish “One Line” Teaser: Which “ONE" are you today?
Welcome to a line that is as diverse as your life! Over the month of June we will be releasing all six colors of the new Swish “One Line.” So choose which color is right for you and play along with us this summer!
Jacket (Available in Pink, Yellow, Purple, Black, White)
Vest (Available in Green or Yellow)
Crop Top (Available in Pink or Black)
The featured colors are: YELLOW, GREEN, PINK, PURPLE, BLACK, and WHITE. So whether you are feeling SPORTY, EARTHY, FLIRTY, TRANSCENDENTAL, COSMOPOLITAN, or ELEGANT, your perfect jacket awaits!
One color will be released every few days, so be sure to check our blog and facebook page for your favorite color! Each color will have a special blog, exercise playlist, behind the scenes video, workout tips, and more based around it's theme! Once the featured color is released you will be able to order it through our swish store.
So I have been bombarded with questions about the new one line jackets and when they will be available. I am sure this has to do with the many photos that we have posted of the Swish Team in the jacket doing various sports such as:
These jackets really hold true to their name: The ONE jacket. You really do only need one from waterskiing to beach lounging to heading to the gym, the one line jacket can go anywhere with you.
We are offering a special presale on the ONE jacket! To get your go to: